tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: tomcat 7 udp connector
Date Sat, 01 Dec 2012 17:22:16 GMT
On 12/1/2012 5:16 AM, Jost Boekemeier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am developing a JEE web application which has to handle HTTP, TCP
> and UDP connections.
>
> Can Tomcat >= 7 handle raw TCP and UDP connections? Are there
> extensions (connectors?) available which can handle them?
>
> *I am aware of mina.apache.org, and I can write my own socket server,
> so please don't point me to these solutions. The requirement is a JEE
> (Tomcat) web app.*
>

> I think persistent TCP connections should easy to implement. But what
> about UDP?
>

> Any pointers welcome.
>

> Regards, Jost Bökemeier

Jost,

I wrote up a nice analysis of how you can accomplish your goals. Then I
read the following lines:

 > *I am aware of mina.apache.org, and I can write my own socket server,
 > so please don't point me to these solutions. The requirement is a JEE
 > (Tomcat) web app.*

I glanced at the Tomcat code, and it seems to be built in complete
protocol stacks (HTTP, AJP, clustering). So without major Tomcat surgery
I don't think so.

I was thinking of a command and control application along with a
stand-alone server, much like Derby has:

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.1/adminguide/cadminservlet98430.html

However, the above constraint eliminates that approach.

There are some really interesting hackish ways to approach this (JNDI
beans for clients, ServletContextListener to start servers), but that's
far off the beaten path.

Maybe if you stepped back and wrote what you're trying to accomplish
people can suggest some approaches.

All of that is probably quite a bit off-topic from the mailing list.

. . . . just my two cents.
/mde/