tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Vladimir Girnet <vgirn...@yahoo.com>
Subject how to make http port to open after application startup
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2012 09:52:20 GMT
Hi,

I'm using Tomcat 6.0 (6.035 for now).

I've got an issue with balancing multiple connections from httpd to tomcat.
It looks like tomcat is opening http port (8080) right after startup, and is accepting connections
on it.
At the same time, application itself is starting for about 1-2 minutes, depending on server
speed.

Because connections are accepted to http port, httpd is not removing starting tomcat from
balancer members.
As result, a lot of connections are directed to currently starting tomcat, but no connections
are served during application startup.

I have multiple tomcat servers behind http. If I want to restart one of these servers, httpd
will still pass requests to it, making users to wait long time before response is received.

Is it possible to configure tomcat to open http port only after application is fully started?

I found that AJP port is started only after application startup, unfortunately system is fully
configured to use http, and migrating to AJP generate too much overhead for us.

Thanks,
Vladimir Girnet