tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <>
Subject Re: Thread starvation with JDBCStore
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2012 22:22:58 GMT
2012/11/7 ken dombeck <>:
> #1 I can definetly create a new store (JDBCRealm, DataSourceRealm), I am just not sure
of Apache wanting to support multiple implementations.

It is not a big deal. If the new implementation is better we can
deprecate the old one and remove it from future versions. I just do
not see how all issues can be solved just by patching JDBCStore.

For such components the "support" is mostly a supervision. The bug
reports and patches are usually provided by those who are actually
using the component.

> #3 Sorry, I should have mentioned that we tested all 3 options and option 1 and 3 solved
our issue. Option 2 helped a bit but was not completely fair to all threads and therefore
still allowed the background process to "hold" the lock longer than expected.

OK, feel free to submit a patch.

> #4 Increasing the expire frequency is our current short term "hack". This is a hack because
it does not remove the problem, it just reduces the frequency of the issue.
> #5 I have found several issues opened for the performance issues of expiring database
sessions. This could be a future enhancement but does not completely solve this issue.

BZ 47281 has the same idea that I mentioned,  to use a SELECT WHERE. ;)

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: