tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <>
Subject Re: rotation of catalina.out on restart but no truncation
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2012 18:14:14 GMT
2012/11/9 Caldarale, Charles R <>:
>> From: Meik Suchlich []
>> Subject: AW: rotation of catalina.out on restart but no truncation
>> catalina.out is rotated by restart to catalina.YYYY-mm-dd.log, but catalina.out
>> itself contains the entries of the rotated log.
>> I only want to know, how we can prevent this
> To reiterate: whatever script is doing the rotation is *not* part of the standard Tomcat
distribution.  It likely is part of the Debian mangling of Tomcat into Debian-specific packages.
 You'll need to find the script and adjust it to meet your needs.

catalina.YYYY-mm-dd.log is a proper log file, as written by FileHandler.

It is *not* a rotation of catalina.out.

The logging configuration is documented in the User's Guide.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: