tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alissa Schneider <>
Subject SSL Certificate Help
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2012 21:13:26 GMT
Hi - I'm a novice Tomcat user. I've only used the tool to support BusinessObjects. I recently
was asked to set up SSL for the first time.

Initially I created my own self-signed certificate and was able to get everything working
fine, although I would get the 'certificate warning' error message when going to https://localhost:8443,
but this was expected. Then my IT admin gave me a CA-signed certificate to use instead so
we wouldn't get that warning.

The problem I am having, is that Tomcat still seems to be reading my old self-signed certificate
instead of being pointed to the CA-signed certificate.

Here are my environment specifics:

*         Windows 2008 R2 64-bit

*         Tomcat 6.0.24

*         IE 8

Here are the steps I have taken thus far:

*         I deleted my original keystore that held my self-signed certificate.

*         I deleted the self-signed certificate.

*         I recreated the keystore.

*         I imported the CA-signed certificate.

*         I have an index.txt file that I deleted all the contents from so it is empty.

*         The server.xml file reflects the current keystore/pw information and the SSL lines
have been uncommented.

Still, when I visit https://localhost:8443, the browser throws a certificate warning. When
I click on the certificate warning and view certificate, it displays information on my self-signed
certificate (that I've deleted). I think if I could figure out how to make Tomcat point to
the CA certificate instead of the old one, this would work for me. However, I'm not sure how
to clear the Tomcat "cache" so to speak.

I appreciate any help!