tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Mikusa <dmik...@vmware.com>
Subject Re: Confused: IllegalStateException
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2012 20:26:27 GMT
On Nov 2, 2012, at 3:10 PM, Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Daniel Mikusa <dmikusa@vmware.com> wrote:
>> On Nov 2, 2012, at 2:36 PM, Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:
>>
>>> Basics: Apache Tomcat/7.0.22  1.6.0_22-b04
>>>
>>> I have a Grails app that I'm deploying to this Tomcat.
>>
>> How are you deploying the  application?  What are the exact steps that you are taking?
>
> I am using Tomcat's WAR upload and deploy (i.e., through manager app).

Thought as much, thanks for confirming.

>>> Nov 2, 2012 2:25:41 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader loadClass
>>> INFO: Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped
>>> already.  Could not load com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError.  The eventual
>>> following stack trace is caused by an error thrown for debugging
>>> purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which caused
>>> the illegal access, and has no functional impact.
>>> java.lang.IllegalStateException
>>>       at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1564)
>>>       at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1523)
>>>       at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.send(MysqlIO.java:3352)
>>>       at com.mysql.jdbc.MysqlIO.quit(MysqlIO.java:1696)
>>>       at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.realClose(ConnectionImpl.java:4368)
>>>       at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.cleanup(ConnectionImpl.java:1361)
>>>       at com.mysql.jdbc.ConnectionImpl.finalize(ConnectionImpl.java:2729)
>>>       at java.lang.ref.Finalizer.invokeFinalizeMethod(Native Method)
>>>       at java.lang.ref.Finalizer.runFinalizer(Finalizer.java:83)
>>>       at java.lang.ref.Finalizer.access$100(Finalizer.java:14)
>>>       at java.lang.ref.Finalizer$FinalizerThread.run(Finalizer.java:160)
>>>
>>> What is this message trying to tell me?

This would seem to indicate that an application which has been stopped (possibly because it
has been undeployed) is executing code that would require the web application's class loader
to load a class (specifically the com.mysql.jdbc.SQLError class).  Since the application has
already been stopped, the class loader associated with it is refusing to load the class.

Based on this, it would seem that you have the MySQL driver bundled with the application.
 You might want to try moving this to the shared class loader (i.e. the "lib" folder).  I
think that might clear up the message.

>>> Is this a true indication of an error?[1]  Or is it just a warning I can ignore
safely?[2]

The error message seems to answer these questions…

[1] - "The eventual following stack trace is caused by an error thrown for debugging purposes
as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which caused the illegal access,"

[2] - "and has no functional impact."

Hope that helps.

Dan