tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Meik Suchlich <Meik.Suchl...@brandad-systems.de>
Subject AW: rotation of catalina.out on restart but no truncation
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2012 08:39:34 GMT
2012/11/9 Meik Suchlich <Meik.Suchlich@brandad-systems.de>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> we've got an effekt on catalina.out.
>> We don't use hot deployment. Instead we stop and start our tomcat for installing
new Version.
>> The restart causes rotation of catalina.out, but does not truncate.
>> How can we solve this?

>1. Standard Tomcat scripts neither rotate nor truncate the file. So what is your question?
 Are you asking how to truncate a file on a Unix system?

>2. Do not write anything to the Console (and configure your logging to log nothing to
the Console).
>Then there will be no need to bother with an empty catalina.out file.

Hi,

we use debian.
catalina.out is rotated by restart to catalina.YYYY-mm-dd.log, but catalina.out itself contains
the entries of the rotated log.
I only want to know, how we can prevent this, because of this behavior you have log-entries
in two files except the ones after rotation.

Greetings,
Meik