tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Context Path for a subdirectory
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2012 15:20:07 GMT
Leo Donahue - RDSA IT wrote:
> [...]
that it would restrict access to just admin - based on the longest matching prefix - but it
restricted access to all of /rest

>> My "trick question" was about how you would specify the url-pattern so that it applies
only to:
>> (webapps)/webapp1/www/directory1
>> (and not to
>> (webapps)/webapp1/www/directory2 for instance).

You /can/ use the url-pattern in the <filter-mapping> section. If you map it correctly,

the filter will only be active when that sub-directory is the request URL's target.

> Using the Container provided Remote Address Filter was a good reason to upgrade to Tomcat
7.0.33 from 6.0.35.

> If I can tag another question on the end of this thread:
>
> The Remote Address Filter has an option to set the denyStatus from 403 to 404, or whatever.
 In general, I'm guessing it's better to respond that a restricted resource is not found,
rather than respond that is it there but forbidden?

Purely personal opinion : by doing this, you "kind of" violate the spirit of the HTTP
specification, and you create some confusion at the technical level.
And, essentially, you are lying to the client.
So, in general, it is not "better".
But hey, it's your server, so you're free to return whatever you believe is most appropriate.
Within limits though. For example, if somewhere you provide a link to that section for
some people, but when they click on it, they get a "not found", they may think that your
application isn't working, or that your documentation is incorrect.  While if they get a
"forbidden", they may realise that they need to ask for a permission.