tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Using the Tomcat Native Library can only connect over ipv6 But not over ipv4
Date Tue, 27 Nov 2012 21:36:26 GMT
Zorro wrote:
> Op 27-11-2012 20:00, Christopher Schultz schreef:
>>
>> Harm-Jan,
>>
>> On 11/26/12 3:16 PM, Zorro wrote:
>>> I have now this in my server.xml: For IPv4: <Connector port="80"
>>> protocol="HTTP/1.1" connectionTimeout="20000" redirectPort="8443"
>>> address="0.0.0.0" /> For IPv6: <Connector port="80"
>>> protocol="HTTP/1.1" connectionTimeout="20000" redirectPort="8443"
>>> address="::0" />
>>>
>>> With this setup I can connect to port 80 over Ipv4 And IPv6 to my
>>> Linux box.
>> So, a recap:
>>
>> * NIO/BIO connector binds to both IPv4 and IPv6 when no "address" is
>> specified
>>
>> * APR connector binds only to IPv6 interface is IPv6 is available,
>> otherwise only IPv4
>>
>> * Linux vs. Windows is not relevant
>>
>> Do I have that all right? Or does Linux work as expected (bind to both
>> interfaces) and Windows does not?
>>
>> Ideally, this should work everywhere:
>>
>> <Connector port="80" protocol="HTTP/1.1" />
>>
>> ... and listen on both 0.0.0.0:80 and :::80
>>
>> The only configuration shown by Zorro has two connectors and says that
>> works on Windows.
>>
>>> On a Windows Vista PC I have also installed Tomcat 7.0.32 and the
>>> Windows installation set downloaded from tomcat.apache.org uses
>>> per default the Native Library. I have not changed anything in the
>>> configuration yet and on that PC a telnet 127.0.0.1 80 is ok while
>>> a IPv6 telnet ::1 80 fails.
>> You mean using the above configuration?
>>
>> So, you have 2 connectors on Windows and one of them doesn't work at
>> all? Please stop Tomcat, delete all log files, confirm your
>> (2-connector) configuration, start Tomcat, then re-post your
>> <Connector> configuration and the complete catalina.out log file, plus
>> versions of everything all at once.
>>
>> Better yet, if you could provide a matrix of configurations that *do*
>> work versus *don't* work, that would be great, too. I'm specifically
>> interested in knowing if this is a generic APR problem, or only
>> APR-on-Windows. Jeffrey Janner has had problems on Windows (which may
>> be a win32 TCP/IP stack problem) but if it doesn't work on Linux,
>> either, then perhaps it really is a bug with APR or tcnative.
>>
>>> Maybe its worth it to include it in the documentation of the
>>> native library.
>> Maybe it's worth filing a bug report. If I can get you to cough-up
>> full details, it will make it much easier.
>>
>> - -chris
>
> Chris,
>
> This is what I observed.
> Tomcat 7.0.32
>
> 1. Linux (Fedora 14, gcc 4.5.1, OpenJDK IcedTea6 1.9.10 java version
> 1.6.0_20)
>
> One connector for port 80 defined without the address attribute:
>
>  * NIO/BIO connector binds to both IPv4 and IPv6 when no "address" is
> specified
>  * APR connector binds only to IPv6 interface if IPv6 is available,
> otherwise only IPv4
>
> ---------
>
> 2. Windows Vista (java version 1.7.0_09)
>
> One connector for port 80 defined without the address attribute:
>
>  * NIO/BIO connector binds to both IPv4 and IPv6 when no "address" is
> specified
>  * APR connector binds only to IPv4 interface (not to IPv6).

In all 4 cases above, you can quickly check exactly what is bound to what, by using the
"netstat" command after you have started Tomcat.

The options of netstat vary somewhat depending on the OS.
Under Linux, I'd try :
ps -ef | grep tomcat (to find out its PID)

netstat --tcp -pan | grep LISTEN | grep (tomcat's PID)

Under Windows :
netstat -aon