tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Using the Tomcat Native Library can only connect over ipv6 But not over ipv4
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2012 20:14:33 GMT
Jeffrey Janner wrote:
> [...]
 (search for my posts on the subject.)
> Jeff

Note that as per earlier in this thread, there is a workaround, consisting of defining 2
<Connector>s, one for IPv4 and one for IPv6, both on the same port, 80 e.g.

Also, I don't know if this is really relevant here, but I seem to remember a parameter or

attribute somewhere named "preferIPv4Stack"/"preferIPv6Stack".
Ok, I was digging a bit deeper in Google, and this is by no means an authoritative
explanation, just my take on it so far :
At least some versions of Windows seem to have 2 independent IP stacks, one for IPv4 and
one for IPv6.  (As opposed to one IPv6 stack which can also "do IPv4" when required).
And natively under such an OS, one cannot bind a server socket to both an IPv4 and an IPv6

address; one needs two separate sockets.  Apparently also, the JVM can to some extend
"hide" this from Java programs, and perform it's magic under the hood, binding to one or
the other or both as required, while still making it look as one socket to the Java program.
(wild guess : maybe that APR, being "native" and closer to the OS, doesn't allow this,
while the other Connector variations do).

You can still open 2 separate <Connector>s though.