tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Fred Toth <ft...@synernet.com>
Subject Re: Mystery migrating from tomcat 6 to 7
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2012 16:27:50 GMT
On 11/13/2012 2:57 AM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> It looks like it overrides the default mapping of this servlet. If I
> add the above fragment to web.xml of the docs application, I get 404
> in Tomcat 7, while in Tomcat 6 it works.
>
> If I replace above with the following, it works in Tomcat 7:
>
>   <servlet-mapping>
>     <servlet-name>default</servlet-name>
>     <url-pattern>/default/*</url-pattern>
>     <url-pattern>/</url-pattern>
>   </servlet-mapping>
>
> (Well, I do not know your whole web.xml. Just trying/guessing what it might be.)
>
> Servlet Spec 3.0 defines how web.xml fragments are merged. The
> algorithm is a bit complicated. This affects how the global web.xml is
> merged with webapp's one. (The change in the order of filters is one
> known example mentioned in Migration Guide).
>
> BTW, the effective merged web.xml can be printed into the log. There
> is an attribute on <Context> that enables such logging.
>
> Best regards,
> Konstantin Kolinko

Hi again,

It appears that I can get rid of my default servlet remapping
completely. I've taken it out and adjusted my struts2 config and
everything appears to be working.

If memory serves (always dicey), I came up with this concept originally
with struts1 and tomcat5. I don't remember the exact circumstances, but
it solved the problem of the moment and I've been carrying this along as
the application and servers and frameworks have evolved. In this current
case, it appears to be completely unnecessary.

Thanks again,

Fred