tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: Apache httpd reverse proxy setup
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2012 04:29:09 GMT

On 11/4/12 10:12 AM, Marko Asplund wrote:
> On 31/10/2012 20:08:21 GMT, Mark Thomas wrote:
The mod_proxy_ajp stability issues are less of an issue now than they
>> were when I wrote that article. What that means is if you want
>> the SSL benefits of AJP with the mod_proxy_xxx benefits of
>> consistent configuration then mod_proxy_ajp is the way to go.
> very good post, thanks for the pointer!
> Are there any noticeable differences performance wise? I found this
> performance comparison that was done on Windows:
>  The exact performance test methodology is not described but do
> you think any conclusions can be drawn on the relative performance
> figures for the general case and other platforms? I'm especially
> interested about Linux (RHEL 5 and 6 + clones).

It's tough to decide what would be best for you based upon someone
else's vague methodology and your vague requirements :)

I would recommend doing your own performance testing in your own
environment: it doesn't take much to fire-up JMeter or ApacheBench to
test these configurations.

One thing that the author of that comparison did was use
ProxyPassMatch which uses a regular expression to match the URL.
JkMount does not use a regular expression and so that may have had an
effect -- the comparison doesn't say what kind of requests were being
served. If this was a test of static content (which is really all you
need to test the connector), then regular-expression overhead might
have made a big difference.

When doing your own performance testing, I highly recommend that you
try to compare configurations that are as similar as possible to each
other. Otherwise, you are lying to yourself ;)

- -chris
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.17 (Darwin)
Comment: GPGTools -
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -