tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Asankha C. Perera" <asan...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Handling requests when under load - ACCEPT and RST vs non-ACCEPT
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2012 19:13:12 GMT
Hi Esmond

You are correct. As I recently found out Tomcat and Java is not causing
this explicitly, as I first thought. So there is no 'bug' to be fixed.

But I believe there is an elegant way to refuse further connections when
under load by turning off just the 'accepting' of new connections, and
causing the client to see a 'connection refused' instead of allowing new
connections, accepting requests and then resetting connections with a
'connection reset', preventing the client from a clean failover for
non-idempotent requests. Apache HttpComponents/NIO library already
supports this, so its something that Tomcat too can support if the
community thinks it would be useful.

cheers
asankha

--