Thanks Shanti!

I think your hypothesis is that these sessions remain active, due to client-side polling. However, I don't think that's the case - these sessions are listed as *inactive* (or rather inactive for longer than 20 mins) in the Tomcat manager web application. And hitting "Expire (sessions > 20mins)" causes them to expire! So they are inactive sessions, but are somehow not expired automatically.