tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bob DeRemer <bob.dere...@thingworx.com>
Subject Any known issues using Tomcat for container/app management, but netty for communication
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2012 13:59:00 GMT
Hi Tomcat Community,

GOAL:
My goal is to use Netty for multiple-protocol communication handling, but run inside Tomcat
to leverage the overall application lifecycle support (deployment, control, monitoring, etc.).

To achieve this, I plan to disable all Connectors and use Netty for the actual communication.
 The appserver/listener model makes it very simple to manage our app and control the startup/shutdown
lifecycle.  This is very beneficial from an overall operations, management and support standpoint.
 We just need to leverage Netty's communication infrastructure.

QUESTION:
Does anyone know of any problem with the approach I've described - specifically, using Tomcat's
appserver lifecycle management functionality, but disabling all Tomcat Connectors and using
Netty for all of our application communication?

NOTE: Tomcat is dedicated to our application, so we don't have to worry about sharing a tomcat
installation with other applications.

Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions.

Bob DeRemer
Senior Director, Architecture and Development

http://www.thingworx.com