tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: high CPU usage on tomcat 7
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2012 12:36:17 GMT
> From: Kirill Kireyev [mailto:kirill@instagrok.com]
> Subject: Re: high CPU usage on tomcat 7

> Perhaps what I need is to have the JVM do garbage collections more
> frequently, so that they don't become a huge CPU-hogging ordeals
> when they do happen.

That's not how it works.  The amount of time spent in a GC operation is dependent almost entirely
on the number of live objects in the heap, not the amount of space being reclaimed.  Having
a smaller heap might improve your cache hit rate, but it will have little effect on the time
used by GC.

It is highly likely that your webapps have a memory leak.  You need to use a profiler and
find out what's eating up all that memory.  If you set the heap size to a smaller value, you
should be able to provoke the situation earlier, but it certainly won't fix it.

 - Chuck