tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat Linux/Windows Performance Question
Date Sun, 28 Oct 2012 13:26:56 GMT
Ashkan Rahmani wrote:
> Hi,
> Now I have a windows 2003 server and a Tomcat 6.x on it.
> Our application has many many parts and it's very big.
>
> Actually we are not happy with tomcat performance, (We are working very
> hard on developing that software and improving
> performance)  .
> We want  to improve application performance (working on it now) and tomcat
> (by tuning and we are doing now and using latest stable version) and
> finally OS, for this we want to remove (damn) windows and come back to
> centos 6 and maybe some hardware upgrade.
> My question from you is: is here anyone have some experience with tomcat on
> windows and Linux which running same things? which has better performance?

Ashkan,

I am not a fan of Windows myself, for various reasons.
But,

1) there is no reason, in principle, for Tomcat to be slower on Windows than on Linux,
given comparable system resources.
I believe that on this list, there are many people using Tomcat under Windows, with
satisfactory results.

2) given that you are apparently having performance problems, the order of probability for

where these problems are happening is :
   - 94% : your application
   - 5% : a server misconfiguration, in the sense that you are not giving the Java JVM
under which Tomcat is running, appropriate resources to run your application
   - 1% : all the other factors (including OS, hardware etc..)

3) nobody here knows your application.  So it belongs to you to identify where you are
having performance issues.  If you have some specific questions about something which you

think is strange behaviour in/by Tomcat, then come here with these specific questions.
Otherwise the help which anyone can provide is very limited.

4) "we are not happy with tomcat performance" and "We want  to improve application
performance" are phrases which do not mean anything by themselves (just like "it does not

work").  If you come back here to ask for help, you should provide some specifics or hard

figures.  Otherwise, again, nobody will be able to help.