tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Detect in an authenticator whether a connection is persistent or not
Date Sun, 28 Oct 2012 13:06:09 GMT
1983-01-06@gmx.net wrote:
>> for

>> keep
>>> Well, as long as there is support for connection storage should I file a
>>> bug about that?
>> Go for it.
>>
>>> The connector has to close the connection in my opinion.
>> Not sure what you mean by that.
>
> I guess there is a misunderstanding here. There are two issues to be filed:
> 1. The long-term support for a connection-based store.
> 2. The above described behavior of the current SPNEGO connector in Tomcat 7. A DoS is
possible when a client expects that the server has a connection context on a persistent connection.

> I was referring to the latter in the first place.
>
> Michael

Hi.
This might be slightly OT, but I just wanted to mention that in a Windows domain context,

maintaining state at the level of the connection is essential.  NTLM authentication
requires several back-and-forth exchanges between the client and the server, in sequence.

  In the background, the server has to talk to a domain controller etc.
This is a very heavy authentication mechanism, so it is the connection which is
authenticated, to avoid having to re-authenticate (or at least verify the token) at each
subsequent request from the same browser/client.
That's also why NTLM authentication requires (or at least strongly suggests) keep-alive,
and also why there are limitations using this through firewalls etc.
As far as I know, some NTLM authentication mechanisms "fake" this by caching the client's

IP address and client-side port number.  For example, if you use Jespa (www.ioplex.com)
under Tomcat, behind an Apache httpd front-end, you *must* forward the browser's client IP

address and port number over the httpd-tomcat proxy connection, so that Jespa can retrieve

the client's authentication status from this cache.

Which all may point to another logical issue :
If you were to implement a connection-level "object" in Tomcat to store such
authentication information, it may work if Tomcat is accessed directly by the client.
But if the client accesses Tomcat through a proxy, there is (I think) no guarantee that
the same proxy connection to Tomcat would always be used by the same client.