tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: asking advice for tomcat 7 config
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2012 10:36:21 GMT
Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 17/10/2012 11:02, André Warnier wrote:
>> Mark Thomas wrote:
>>> Nope. This is the NIO connector. The request line is read using
>>> non-blocking IO. The (simulated) blocking IO only starts once the first
>>> header is received and continues until the entire request is received.
>>> It then goes back to non-blocking for the next request line.

>>> Again, nope. The thread is released between the requests.
>>>
>> Sorry, I stand corrected, I missed the NIO part.
>>
>> For the record, is the above correct for the standard BIO connector
>> (and in part for the APR connector) ?
>
> BIO yes, the above is correct.
>
> NIO is actually non-blocker for the request headers as well.
>
> APR is is non-blocking between requests.
>
> See the summary chart at [1] for more.
>
> Mark
>
> [1]
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/http.html#Connector_Comparison

Thanks.
Yes, I saw that table, but it is may be a bit "summarised" for the average Tomcat user (or

sysadmin).  Is there somewhere a more global/in-depth explanation of how this stuff all
works ?
(request processing, thread allocation/deallocation etc., other than snippets here and
there related to the various connector attributes or the source code comments ?)