tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Mark Thomas <>
Subject Re: asking advice for tomcat 7 config
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2012 08:28:30 GMT
On 17/10/2012 07:59, Romain Van der Keilen wrote:
> Hi There,
> I'm quiet new to this mailing list as I encounter some configuration
> problems with Tomcat 7.0.30.

It is unlikely to help but you may as well upgrade to 7.0.32.

> We are currently developing a web
> application, and we wish to have a good response time with about 200
> parallel sessions. My problem is that starting from 70 users, the
> system does not respond quietly. At 70 users, we have an average of
> 4000ms for the response time. At 120 users we are at an average of
> 20000ms and with 200 users we have about 45000ms of response time.
> All of those numbers were computed with JMeter, using 4 passes.

I have seen very strange results with JMeter under load, particularly on
Windows. The results you are seeing may not be entirely correct. I get
better results (although less control) with ab on Windows. Or I run
JMeter on Linux.

> When the server is under a big load, what I could see with VisualVM
> is that the heap size used never exceed 500Mb. When 500Mb is reached,
> it drops back to about 100Mb. Another thing is that the CPU never
> works more than 5% of its capabilities.

That suggests that the app is not CPU bound.

> I also took a look at the CPU
> usage in java classes,

Using what>

> and there I saw that 95% of the time goes to
> org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskQueue.take().

That is normal and means for 95% of the total thread processing time,
threads are waiting for the next task to process. It is the other 5% you
want to concentrate on.

> The first class
> related to my application is the and
> is at 0.1% of the CPU time ...
> I've looked on a lot of forums to try to tune my tomcat
> configuration, but I haven't found anything that could really help
> me, this is the reason I ask to you. I've just put you the whole
> server.xml file after this, hoping you can have a look and tell me if
> there is some big issue with it... The only thing I changed is the IP
> of the server.

Profiling is the way to go to fix this and it looks like you are heading
in the right direction however you may need some better tools.


To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message