tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [OT] how to programmatically expire inactive sessions?
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2012 07:49:27 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:

> Shanti,
>
> On 10/10/12 2:55 PM, Shanti Suresh wrote:
>> I am also just curious how much active heap you are really using.
>> From the previous heapdumps the script generated, what size are
>> these? Was there a reason you needed a huge heap like 25GB?
>
> Yes. In another thread, the OP stated that they store insane amounts
> of stuff (like 10MiB+ worth) in sessions and need to support many
> simultaneous sessions (the example was 3000).
>
> The worst part about a heap dump like that is that it generates an
> enormous file when the JVM crashes.

I know that this has nothing to do directly with the issue at hand, but I must say that
ever since I saw that post, I have been wondering about the real need to keep such huge
amount of data in memory "for efficiency".
I make no judgment in advance, but when I am told something like that by one of our junior

programmers, instinctively this triggers a reaction in me to dig further.
Intuitively, the overhead of starting 3000 such sessions and just loading that data 3000
times should tend to negate any later efficiency advantage, no ?