tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6.0 cluster query
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2012 17:35:33 GMT

On 10/10/12 1:09 PM, vivek aggarwal wrote:
> I didnt understand the difference between port & autoBind.
> Secondly if above Receiver port is for listenning cluster messages
> what does the Intercetor port will do... as mentioned below

You need to read all the documentation, from start to finish, if you
want to understand everything that is happening. If you can suggest an
improvement to the documentation, we are always willing to update
things to make them more clear.

If you use port+autoBind (which is the default), then Tomcat will bind
to the first available port from port ... (port + autoBind). If
port=4000 and autoBind=100 then Tomcat will try 4000, then 4001, then
4002, then 4003, .. etc. until it gets to 4100 trying to bind to a
port. The first one that works will be *the* port Tomcat listens to.
This process is done to help avoid port conflicts that can arise due
to various circumstances.

> Please it may be annoying but is it possible for you to understand
> the overall picture/flow of this tags to me which are used in
> Tomcat Static membership cluster
> thanks a lot for your help
> <Interceptor
> className="">
<Member className="org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.StaticMember"
> port="4000" host="" domain="mydomain"
> uniqueId="{192,168,2,50,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0}"/>

Note that there is no autoBind parameter for the <Member> element.
Only for <Receiver>.

- -chris
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.17 (Darwin)
Comment: GPGTools -