tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: How to limit the number of sessions per IP address (DOS attacks)
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2012 08:45:50 GMT
Brian Braun wrote:
> Hi Constantine,
>
> 1- I had almost decided to program a filter. However, I have found this
> solution:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3679465/find-number-of-active-sessions-created-from-a-given-client-ip/3679783#3679783
> What do you think about it? I havent tried it yet, but as far as I can tell
> it looks good. It would help me to know how many sessions exist for a
> certain IP. Knowing that, I could deny more sessions for that IP (even
> though the procedure to deny is not included in this code).

Just want to point out a possible hole in the logic.
If there are a number of potential (legitimate and illegitimate) clients located within
the same corporate LAN, and these clients all access the Internet through say a corporate

proxy, all these request will look to your server as originating from the same IP address.
So you could be denying more than you wish.

However, their origin /port/ should be different, so you might want to include that in
your filter, inaddition to the IP address.