tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mead, Jen L" <Mead....@con-way.com>
Subject RE: very basic question about apache and tomcat
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2012 16:19:00 GMT
Hi Chris,

See responses below:

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:50 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: very basic question about apache and tomcat

-Jen,

On 9/20/12 11:19 AM, Mead, Jen L wrote:
> I met you at a PERL conference years and years ago along with a bunch
> of other people you met.

-Unlikely... I've never been to a Perl conference.

-[OT NB: I've found out that I'm not the only Christopher Schultz in the world -- even in
my ---own local region. I got pulled-over for speeding one time and was told that my license
had ----been -suspended
-*and* revoked (I'm not sure how that's different than just being revoked, but what the hey).
--Anyhow, turns out that the state I was living in used soundex codes for driver's license
------numbers and another (apparently evil) Christopher Schultz and I had license numbers
differing -only by one digit, so the cop had it all wrong. Fun ride.]

LOL, bummer. Yes you do have a "famous" name.

> Anyways.  Exactly what I am trying to do is allow folks to use their
> web browser (I would like to stick with tomcat 7.0.27 on aix
> 6.1) from their windows workstation and authenticate against the
> windows domain.

-Ok.

> I am hoping this can be accomplished without creating unix accounts.

-Mirroring AD in UNIX would be foolish. It wouldn't get you anywhere, anyway, since Tomcat
-----doesn't have a module to authenticate against the local UNIX environment, anyway.

> The permissions for it, page access or run the tool would reside in
> the tomcat configuration side, but all authentication would be from
> the windows side.

-So you want your clients to provide Kerberos tokens to Tomcat? Have you arranged for that
kind -of thing?

- -chris

Yes I have to a point.  We have HP support and mostly it is in India and we don't direct access
with them.  I opened a ticket but they are requesting that I tell them exactly how to do it.
 I am working with them on that.  They are waiting for me to test from my AIX environment
to iron out all those pieces.  I know they need to configure my server into their environment
and maybe it will require a special user account.  If you have info on that that would be
good.

Could you tell me which modules / libraries I need to download and install for tomcat to authenticate
against the windows environment and how to tweak them?  I am ready to dig into this.

Jen