tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mead, Jen L" <Mead....@con-way.com>
Subject very basic question about apache and tomcat
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 21:31:37 GMT
Hi Everybody,

Now I will show my real ignorance about what I know after NOT working with Apache or Tomcat
for several years now.  I have been working on a project that allows our CGI web pages to
authenticate users from their windows desktop against Windows AD and not requiring any kind
of unix account.  I am slowly getting the information I need to move forward but information
is just not out there to get.  I am just chipping away at it.

My basic question is: do I need to install apache as well as tomcat to have an httpd.conf
file?  I have tomcat running on several AIX servers, 6.1 and 5.3, with tomcat 7.0.27 installed.
 I was doing a simple search to find the httpd.conf file when I realized none of my servers
have it installed.  When I try to find out which app creates it I get the answer apache (from
google searches).  So I guess that tomcat is a subset of apache?  A virtual java app I suppose?
 See I told you the questions were basic.  Yikes it is hard to understand as a newbie, especially
when I can load tomcat and get web pages working in a few minutes.  LOL

Any help is appreciated in regard to helping me wrap my brain around this.  ARGH

Regards,
Jen

Jen L Mead | Sys Admin | ICC Operations | Con-way | Office 503-450-8641
SAFETY| LEADERSHIP | INTEGRITY | COMMITMENT | EXCELLENCE | Driven by Integrity