tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Hedrick, Brooke - 43" <brooke.hedr...@rainhail.com>
Subject RE: Facing Memory leak - 64 bit Tomcat 6.0.35 with windows 2008 R2(64 bit JVM 1.6.0_33)
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2012 20:15:53 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: PJ Delsh [mailto:pjdelsh007@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 2:29 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Facing Memory leak - 64 bit Tomcat 6.0.35 with windows 2008 R2(64 bit JVM 1.6.0_33)

>Chris and Tim,
>When we had Tomcat issues, every Tomcat professional we spoke to told us to drop Windows
and move to Linux ASAP.  We were told that Tomcat is more stable and less sensitive on Linux,
and there >are far better troubleshooting tools on Linux than there are for Windows.

>If this is inaccurate, then Tomcat consulting companies are spreading misinformation.

>-PJ

I would say, as always in IT, it depends.  We have used Windows for years with hundreds of
servers, hosting hundreds of JVMs - more than one on the same machine typically, and hundreds
of distinct war files.  We also use Linux.  There are tools for both O/S platforms for troubleshooting/debugging.
 If any consulting company were to tell me what they told you, I would want specific cases
explained to me - not just wide open generalizations.  In my opinion, more Tomcat is better.
 If it needs to run on Windows due to current company knowledge/momentum, so be it.  Would
it be a good idea to set up some test servers using Linux too in order to do a shootout with
your apps - sure!  Some of this depends on how your app works and how it is used too.  If
you really want to know, set up both types of servers and use any one of the numerous load
testing tools out there and see for yourself.

- ust another Tomcat user