tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Patrick Flaherty <pflah...@rampageinc.com>
Subject Re: Setting JVM Parameters in Windows Service for Tomcat7
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2012 19:31:46 GMT

On Sep 20, 2012, at 3:02 PM, Matthias Müller wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Environment variables are irrelevant when running services. That's
>> why
>> the registry values exist.
>
> That's a good point!
> Thanks for the nice discussion.
>
>> Matthias - can you please elaborate on exactly what "it is not
>> practicable
>> for our production environment" means?
>
> I want to put the configuration files and property settings in a local
> VCS (e.g. a local git) so that I can track the changes.
> But now I see, that there are some technical reasons for using the
> registry.
> I think I will use a batch-script then which sets the registry.
>
> Matthias
>
> PS
> There are two ways of setting the registry:
>
> 1. CLI via "tomcat.exe //US//Tomcat7 ..."
>    There are some examples in the service.bat file.
> 2. gui via tomcatw.exe
>
> But I think both ways are not compatible.
> I.E. when using "tomcat.exe //US//Tomcat7" I won't find the values in
> tomcatw.exe
> But that's not a problem for me.

I do not see the compatibility issue you describe. When I was
struggling to get the command-line (tomcat7.exe //US//) to work. I was
using the tomcatw.exe
GUI to see if my command-line was taking (I also check the registry).
Now that I have figured out how to change the min/max heap via the
command-line
I use tomcatw.exe and it reflects any change I make via the command-
line. At least that is my experience.