tomcat-users mailing list archives

From chris derham <ch...@derham.me.uk>
Subject Re: Root context switching
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2012 12:22:48 GMT

> Basic what I want is the same functionality which google apps provides. So
> I want to be able to have multiple versions of my application online, let
> people try the new environment and eventually switch the root context to
> the new running version. This enables my clients to try out the new version
> and options before they switch over to the new environment and enables me
> to fix bugs found in the new release.
>
> Two options spring to mind. First is to have multiple tomcat instances
running. One is production with accepted versions of wars. Then a second
instance could run on a different port allowing you to test the new wars.
When they are accepted, you deploy on the production instance. Second
option is a slight variation - you could run a single instance, but have
two hosts specified. In one host you specify your production wars, and in
the second you specify your UAT wars.

Every company that I have worked in always runs separate a production and
UAT machines. If you don't want multiple machines, then I'd go for option
1.

HTH

Chris