tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Brett Delle Grazie <brett.dellegra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to get heap dump of Tomcat running as windows service.
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2012 08:10:04 GMT
On 12 September 2012 13:14, Pid <pid@pidster.com> wrote:
> On 12/09/2012 11:02, Aditi Sinha wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> We have web server hosted on Tomcat 7.0.22. Tomcat is running as windows
>> service.
>>
>> When we try to get the heap  dump of Tomcat using the following command
>>

>> *jmap -dump:format=b,file=heap.bin <pid>*
>>

>> we get below error
>>

>> *<pid>: Not enough storage is available to process this command.*
>
> probably because you have set a large heap size.

try:
  jmap -J-Xmx512M -dump:format=b,file=heap.bin <pid>

(You _might_ get away with 768M but better to be safe than sorry).

I believe jmap is telling you that it doesn't have enough heap
available to process tomcat's heap - which you have
set at 512M. The default heap is typically quite low.

--
Best Regards,

Brett Delle Grazie