tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A question about the lifecycle of Tomcat
Date Sat, 08 Sep 2012 11:10:01 GMT
2012/9/7 Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org>:

>> How about Apache Tomcat 6.x.x? When is the end for the support?
>
> No plans at the current time. Best guess is that it is at least two years away. There
will be at least 12 months notice of eol.

> The biggest driver is the J2EE specification process. A new specification version means
a new major Tomcat release. Generally the latest major Tomcat version (currently 7.0.x) gets
new features, bug fixes and security fixes, the version before (6.0.x) that bug fixes and
security fixes and the version before that (5.5.x) just security fixes.

> We are at the transition point where 8.0.x is diverging from 7.0.x so the three supported
versions move from 5.5-7.0 to 6.0-8.0. That said, the transition won't be instantaneous. 8.0
is not ready for a release and New features will continue to be added to 7.0 for a while yet.

> Also, all of the above depends on there being volunteers doing the work. This cuts both
ways. If no-one wants to work on 6.0.x as of tomorrow, support for 6.0.x will effectively
stop then. Equally, if someone wants to add a new feature to 5.5.x, they can. Everything above
is only generally true with plenty of exceptions if a committer decides they want to scratch
a particular itch.

Some facts:
1. The Java 1.5 JDK that is used to build Tomcat 6 is already past its EOL.

2. There is no automated testsuite for Tomcat 6, like we have for
Tomcat 7. So it is a bit harder to maintain it.

My estimation is like Mark's: two more years. Maybe 2,5. I would not
expect more.

There should be a discussion on the dev list and an announcement one
year before the eol.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko