tomcat-users mailing list archives

From balvindar dhaliwal <balvind...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Apache tomcat ( 7.0.19 ) stops processing user requests suddenly but works fine after restart.
Date Mon, 03 Sep 2012 13:47:50 GMT

Hi,
Q1:server.xml :------------<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?><Server port="8009"
shutdown="xxxxx">  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityListener"
/>  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener" SSLEngine="on"
/>  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.JasperListener" />  <Listener
className="org.apache.catalina.core.JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener" />  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener"
/>  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.ThreadLocalLeakPreventionListener"
/>  <GlobalNamingResources>    <Resource name="UserDatabase" auth="Container"
             type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"              description="User database
that can be updated and saved"              factory="org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabaseFactory"
             pathname="conf/tomcat-users.xml" />  </GlobalNamingResources>  <Service
name="Catalina">    <Connector port="8443" protocol="HTTP/1.1" SSLEnabled="true"
           maxThreads="150" scheme="https" secure="true"               clientAuth="false"
sslProtocol="TLS"               ciphers="TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA,TLS_DHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA,TLS_DHE_DSS_WITH_AES_128_CBC_SHA,SSL_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA,SSL_DHE_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA,SSL_DHE_DSS_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA"
              keystoreFile="conf/xxxxxx-yy-zzzz.jks" keystorePass="xxxx" />    <Engine
name="Catalina" defaultHost="localhost">      <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm"
            digest="SHA" resourceName="UserDatabase"/>      <Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps"
           unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"            xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false">
        <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve" directory="logs"
             prefix="localhost_access_log." suffix=".txt" pattern="common" resolveHosts="false"/>
      </Host>    </Engine>  </Service></Server>
Q2:We are using HTTPS.
Regards,Bal.
> Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 15:35:31 +0200
> From: aw@ice-sa.com
> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Apache tomcat ( 7.0.19 ) stops processing user requests suddenly but works
fine after restart.

> balvindar dhaliwal wrote:
> >

> > Hi ,
> >

> > We are using tomcat 7.0.19, for a jsf(richfaces),seam, jpa web application.
> > Here are the software versions and hardware infrastructure details.
> > Apache Tomact # 7.0.19
> > Java run time  # 1.6.0_12
> > Server infrastructure # SunOS xxxxxxx 5.10 Generic_142900-03 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200
> > OS version # solaris 10.
> >
> > Issue Description #
> > We have noticed after about 2 months, the web requests stop being processed. We
had observed this issue twice in the last 5 months.
> > We are using HTTP/1.1 Connector ( BIO ). The heap and permgen memory seem fine.
There is no out of memory errors in the logs. We have used jvisualvm to monitor heap, permgen,
threads and thread dump, AND THEY ALL LOOK OK.   The thread dump looks fine and there are
no deadlocks/stuck threads observed.
> > The localhost_access_log stops being updated. The connector port is still listening
on SSL port 8443.
> > After we restart Tomcat, the new requests are processing fine.
> > Can you please advise other areas we should look into for investigation (any additional
tracing).
> > Should we upgrade to tomcat 7.0.29? What could cause the Connector to stop processing
requests on the port?
> > Further info: Heap(1/6th used), PermGen(1/2 used). GC is effectively reducing the
heap. The fact that local access log is not being updated, suggests the request is not making
to the Servlet container. We are using JPA Connection Pool, have not noticed any db connection
issues. After the restart, everything works well.