tomcat-users mailing list archives

From balvindar dhaliwal <>
Subject Apache tomcat ( 7.0.19 ) stops processing user requests suddenly but works fine after restart.
Date Mon, 03 Sep 2012 13:12:33 GMT

Hi ,

We are using tomcat 7.0.19, for a jsf(richfaces),seam, jpa web application.
Here are the software versions and hardware infrastructure details.
Apache Tomact # 7.0.19
Java run time  # 1.6.0_12
Server infrastructure # SunOS xxxxxxx 5.10 Generic_142900-03 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200
OS version # solaris 10.
Issue Description #
We have noticed after about 2 months, the web requests stop being processed. We had observed
this issue twice in the last 5 months.
We are using HTTP/1.1 Connector ( BIO ). The heap and permgen memory seem fine. There is no
out of memory errors in the logs. We have used jvisualvm to monitor heap, permgen, threads
and thread dump, AND THEY ALL LOOK OK.   The thread dump looks fine and there are no deadlocks/stuck
threads observed.
The localhost_access_log stops being updated. The connector port is still listening on SSL
port 8443.
After we restart Tomcat, the new requests are processing fine.
Can you please advise other areas we should look into for investigation (any additional tracing).
Should we upgrade to tomcat 7.0.29? What could cause the Connector to stop processing requests
on the port?
Further info: Heap(1/6th used), PermGen(1/2 used). GC is effectively reducing the heap. The
fact that local access log is not being updated, suggests the request is not making to the
Servlet container. We are using JPA Connection Pool, have not noticed any db connection issues.
After the restart, everything works well.
The system logs seems to be fine.
Please find the attached sample thread dump copy when this issue was occurred.