tomcat-users mailing list archives

From PJ Delsh <pjdelsh...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Facing Memory leak - 64 bit Tomcat 6.0.35 with windows 2008 R2(64 bit JVM 1.6.0_33)
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2012 16:16:00 GMT
Shailendra,  I'm not an expert, but when we had this same issue, we increased the Initial Memory
Pool and Maximum Memory pool (XMS and XMX) in the Tomcat Monitor in Windows 2008.We also had
a leak in some of our JSP files that was causing Tomcat to hang several times during business
hours.  We configured Tomcat so that VisualVM (which comes with the Java JDK) could monitor
Tomcat memory usage.  Then we took heap dumps, and analyzed them for leaks (Shallow Heap vs
Retained Heap) using Eclipse Memory Analyzer.  Once we fixed the leaks, Tomcat was stable.In
the interim, if you have Tomcat running as a service in Windows, under the Recovery tab set
the Tomcat service to restart automatically if it does stop.  But if you have memory leaks,
the Tomcat service probably will still be running but it won't be responding.You can also
install more than one Tomcat on the same server, so if one goes down, the other will still
be running.  You would also have to configure Apache (or whatever) to work with more than
one Tomcat.We also had issues with the Tomcat service crashing (eg Terminated Unsuccessfully)
on Windows.  After months of searching, we think the issue was having system.exit(0) in our
code.The truth is that Tomcat is not written well enough to run on Windows.  See what you
can do to move your app to Linux.  You will find many more Tomcat experts on Linux than on
Windows.  Tomcat is not like IIS. Developing for Tomcat on Windows is fine, but running production
apps in Tomcat on Windows is a bad idea.  I wish this was more widely known and publicized.-PJ