tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Shailendra Singh <shailendra.si...@pb.com>
Subject RE: Facing Memory leak - 64 bit Tomcat 6.0.35 with windows 2008 R2(64 bit JVM 1.6.0_33)
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2012 07:13:19 GMT
Thanks a lot for your responses, I posted this query multiple times to get more and more responses.
Please don’t consider this as spam,
And after applying the answers(increase of memory) I got this issue resolved to some extent.
Thanking you all again.

Shailendra

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2012 11:49 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Facing Memory leak - 64 bit Tomcat 6.0.35 with windows 2008 R2(64 bit JVM 1.6.0_33)

Tim,

On 9/5/12 1:17 PM, Tim Watts wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-09-05 at 12:16 -0400, PJ Delsh wrote:
>> Shailendra,  I'm not an expert, but when we had this same issue, we
>> increased the Initial Memory Pool and Maximum Memory pool (XMS and
>> XMX) in the Tomcat Monitor in Windows 2008.We also had a leak in some
>> of our JSP files that was causing Tomcat to hang several times during
>> business hours.  We configured Tomcat so that VisualVM (which comes
>> with the Java JDK) could monitor Tomcat memory usage.  Then we took
>> heap dumps, and analyzed them for leaks (Shallow Heap vs Retained
>> Heap) using Eclipse Memory Analyzer.  Once we fixed the leaks, Tomcat
>> was stable.In the interim, if you have Tomcat running as a service in
>> Windows, under the Recovery tab set the Tomcat service to restart
>> automatically if it does stop.  But if you have memory leaks, the
>> Tomcat service probably will still be running but it won't be
>> responding.You can also install more than one Tomcat on the same
>> server, so if one goes down, the other will still be running.  You
>> would also have to configure Apache (or whatever) to work with more
>> than one Tomcat.We also had issues with the Tomcat service crashing
>> (eg Terminated Unsuccessfully) on Windows.  After months of
>> searching, we think the issue was having system.exit(0) in our code.
>
> System.exit(0) is the very definition of successful termination
> although it certainly doesn't belong in your webapp's code.

+1

>> The truth is that Tomcat is not written well enough to run on
>> Windows.
>
> What rot.  All the problems you mention above you traced back to your
> application.  Yet your conclusion is that Tomcat doesn't run well on
> Windows.  Really?

Tomcat runs very well on Microsoft Windows. Poorly-written applications will fail under any
environment.

In the OP's case, I really believe the only problem is that the heap is too small when moving
from a 32-bit to a 64-bit JVM, but we can't seem to get s response from the OP so I guess
we'll never know.

>> See what you can do to move your app to Linux.  You will find many
>> more Tomcat experts on Linux than on Windows.
>
> I myself have a strong preference for Linux but for reasons unrelated
> to Tomcat.  In reality, you'll find that most Tomcat experts don't
> give a rat's hiney which OS it runs under.  But they may care which
> JVM you're using.

I'm another Linux supporter and I'd hate to run Microsoft Windows as a server in general,
but if you're stuck with it, Tomcat isn't going to be the problem.

>> Tomcat is not like IIS.
> True.
>
>> Developing for Tomcat on Windows is fine, but running production apps
>> in Tomcat on Windows is a bad idea.  I wish this was more widely
>> known and publicized.-PJ
>
> Total BS.

Agreed. PJ: care to cite any "widely known and publicized" references?

Also, PJ, what makes you think that your experiences are anything like the OP's? You seem
to be spouting "solutions" to problems that you do not understand. When the reported problem
is "we are getting OOMEs", the solution is not automatically "you should switch to Linux because
Tomcat sucks on Windows". It's inaccurate advice (Tomcat works find on
Windows) and is very unlikely to solve the problem (whatever it is).

- -chris