tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Pid *" <>
Subject Re: Tuning session replication on clusters
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2012 07:18:54 GMT
On 5 Sep 2012, at 20:51, ""
<> wrote:

> I have a small cluster of 3 nodes running tomcat 6.0.24 with openJDK
> 1.6.0_20 on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.

You should really consider upgrading Java.
While you're at it, try Tomcat 7.0.30 in your lab and have a look at
BackupManager (instead of DeltaManager) as Dan suggested.

> I have roughly 5,000-6,000 sessions at any given time, and when I restart
> one of the nodes I am finding that not all sessions are getting
> replicated , even when I have the state transfer  timeout set to 60
> seconds.
> It seems that only sessions that have been touched recently are replicated,
> even if the session is still otherwise valid. I did one test where I
> created about 1,500 sessions and then took out one node, When I brought it
> back online, it only replicated the 4-5 sessions that were from active
> users on the test cluster. It did not replicated the idle sessions that
> were still valid that my prior test had created.
> I  am wanting to tune my settings, but I am unsure where would be the best
> place to start. Should I start with the threads available to the NIO
> Receiver, or would I be better off focusing on a different set of
> attributes first, such as the send or receive timeout values?
> Any tips or pointers as to which setting might be the most productive would
> be greatly appreciated.
> Lee Lowder
> O'Reilly Auto Parts
> Web Systems Administrator
> (417) 862-2674 x1858
> This communication and any attachments are confidential, protected by Communications
Privacy Act 18 USCS � 2510, solely for the use of the intended recipient, and may contain
legally privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient, please return or destroy
it immediately. Thank you.