tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Concept doubt about threads & servlets
Date Sat, 29 Sep 2012 01:03:12 GMT
Jose María Zaragoza wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I've got a concept doubt about if it's possible perform many calls to
> the same servlet ( on the same session ) if the previous one didn't
> finish.

Can you explain how precisely you would do that ?

> I know that a connection is assigned to a thread.
> If the client doesn't open more connection ( Keep-Alive: true ), all
> requests are processed by the same thread.

Yes, but I am curious how you would make a browser send several requests in a row on the
same connection, without waiting for the first request to return a response.

> And if a request spends a lot of time when calling a servlet , is
> that thread blocked until the servlet finish ?

Yes.  One thread handles one request at a time.
But several threads can be running the same servlet code, independently.

or each request is
> processed by a new created thread ?

Only if the new request comes in through another connection.

> This is my doubt : is that the right behaviour ?
>
> I know that there is a only one instance by servlet, but I'm talking
> about one scenario with only one browser and only one session web

Mmm. That's a bit obscure.

> If anyone knows about a good documentation about this question, that
> would be helpful for me

The HTTP RFC (#2616 ?), and the Java Servlet Specification.