tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Cluster Logging Options
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2012 12:29:16 GMT
John Rellis wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 10:57 AM, André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com> wrote:
>
>> John Rellis wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 10:12 AM, Alex Samad - Yieldbroker <
>>> Alex.Samad@yieldbroker.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>  Been thinking about

There is just a bit missing in your understanding : syslog is a daemon running on one
host, and writes logfiles on that host. But different processes, running on the same *or
on other hosts* can send their log messages to that one syslog daemon, via the network and

TCP/IP e.g., allowing this syslog daemon to write messages from these various remote
processes to one or more local logfiles.
This, in an abbreviated way, was what Alex was trying to tell you : configure your Tomcats

to use log4j, and configure log4j to send their log messages to one syslog running on one

"logging host".  You can configure log4j and syslog in such a way as to write one common
logfile for all Tomcats, or separate files for each, or both at the same time.