tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: Updating Tomcat-Server from Version 6.0.16 to 7.0.30
Date Thu, 20 Sep 2012 14:28:00 GMT

On 9/20/12 2:57 AM, Andreas Stadelmeier wrote:
> Pid wrote:
>> Try the latest 6.0.x first, then if your app is fine, try 7.0.x.
>> Things changed in 6 that sometimes catch people out.
> Okay, thank you!
> My problem is: I don't know anything about the behave of
> applications/webservices which the tomcat 6.0.16 is running at the
> moment. So I am not able to determine whether everything works fine
> or not after a change to tomcat 7. At least till some users start
> complaining :D.

So you don't have any kind of testing procedure before rolling-out to
production? Yikes!

When switching between major version numbers, I generally install the
latest Tomcat version in development and run like that for several
months before planning an upgrade in production. We have several full
rounds of testing before anything like that gets upgraded in
production. The plan is less stringent when updating point-releases.

We do the same thing with major JVM upgrades.

> But my own Web-Project doesn't run under 6.0.16. Therefore I had
> to upgrade to version 7.0.x. I did it this morning and till now
> everything went well. I hope this lasts

Me too! "yum update && service tomcat restart && cross_fingers" is not
a great upgrade procedure.

- -chris
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.17 (Darwin)
Comment: GPGTools -