tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "David A. Rush" <da...@rushtone.com>
Subject Re: very basic question about apache and tomcat
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 21:45:24 GMT

On 2012-09-19 17:31, Mead, Jen L wrote:
> My basic question is: do I need to install apache as well as tomcat to have an httpd.conf
file?  I have tomcat running on several AIX servers, 6.1 and 5.3, with tomcat 7.0.27 installed.
 I was doing a simple search to find the httpd.conf file when I realized none of my servers
have it installed.  When I try to find out which app creates it I get the answer apache (from
google searches).  So I guess that tomcat is a subset of apache?  A virtual java app I suppose?
 See I told you the questions were basic.  Yikes it is hard to understand as a newbie, especially
when I can load tomcat and get web pages working in a few minutes.  LOL

Tomcat and HTTPD (Apache web server) are two different things, though
often used together.  Both are projects of the Apache Software Foundation.

Tomcat is capable of running standalone.  It is not a subset of of the
Apache HTTPD.  For various reasons many folks run Tomcat "behind" Apache
HTTPD, but that isn't necessary.

There's overlap between the functionality of Tomcat and HTTPD. Whether
you need just Tomcat, just HTTPD, or both, depends on what you want to do.

httpd.conf is the typical name of the primary HTTPD configuration file
(although that may be different depending on who built the distribution
you're using and on what kind of OS).

Tomcat uses server.xml as it's primary configuration file.

David