tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "David A. Rush" <>
Subject Best practices for upgrading Tomcat on Windows?
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 20:32:26 GMT
Is there a set of best practices documented anywhere for upgrading
Tomcat on Windows?
I run Tomcat as a Windows service on several machines.  I can, and have
many times, completely removed Tomcat and reinstalled a new version, but
there's probably a better way, particular for minor version updates
(such as 7.0.x to 7.0.x+n).  I've developed a standard way of setting up
Tomcat that's used across multiple machines, but it doesn't lend itself
well to upgrades.

I don't use the "Windows installer", but rather make bulk copies of the
Tomcat code and use the "service installer" script, somewhat modified
for our peculiarities.

For minor version updates, should I be able to stop the Tomcat windows
service, copy any customized files such as server.xml and and setenv.bat, copy new code over old code, copy
the customized files back, and start the service again?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message