tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: mod_jk vs. mod_proxy
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 19:33:57 GMT

On 9/18/12 10:04 AM, Shanti Suresh wrote:
> All,
> I wanted your opinion on this topic.  I was heavily into using
> "mod_jk" a few years back.  But I have since started using
> mod_proxy for the following reasons: (1) mod_proxy is easier to
> configure (2) I remember reading that "mod_jk" is deprecated (3)
> Logging for mod_proxy appears inline with Apache traffic log
> entries and is easier to debug.  I am able to get detailed logging
> from mod_proxy by adjusting Apache's "LogLevel to debug". (4) Could
> there be any other reasons that I might be missing?
> I do also like the separate logging that mod_jk gives though.  I
> notice that mod_jk is still being used.  I just wanted to know your
> opinion.

I use mod_jk because it gives me greater freedom of configuration and
tends to get updated more often. It is definitely "harder" to
configure, though, since a separate configuration file is usually used.

As I don't use SSL between httpd and Tomcat this isn't much of an
issue for me, but connecting httpd->Tomcat via SSL is trivial with
mod_proxy_http (and not with mod_jk) while forwarding SSL info from
httpd -> Tomcat (while still using an unencrypted channel) is trivial
in mod_jk but more difficult with mod_proxy_http.

- -chris
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.17 (Darwin)
Comment: GPGTools -
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -