tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Verifying mod_jk is installed
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 14:56:04 GMT
John Rellis wrote:
> André,
>
> Thanks!  OK, so I put
>
>         JkMount /jkmanager/ jkstatus
>         JkMount /jkmanager/* jkstatus
>
> Into apache2.conf and no success.  I did however put it
> in sites-available/default
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>         ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
>
>         JkMount /jkmanager/ jkstatus
>         JkMount /jkmanager/* jkstatus
>
> And I can now hit host/jkmanager/ and I get a UI.
>
> Is this the expected behaviour???

Yes, but do not top-post.  Read
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Choosing_the_proper_posting_style

In reality there are several factors at work here.  We are getting into Apache VirtualHost

logic, and the logic of inheritance of JkMount from the main Apache configuration to the
virtual hosts.
To get a fuller explanation, see the online documentation and the "JkMountCopy" directive.

Briefly :
- for Apache httpd :
    - generally, whatever "lives" outside a <VirtualHost> section belongs to the "main"

configuration, and basically acts as a default value for any VirtualHost, /unless/ it is
superseded by a similar directive inside a <VirtualHost> section.
- for JkMount however : by default, a JkMount in the main httpd configuration is /not/
inherited by the VirtualHost sections, /unless/ you use the JkMountCopy instruction
appropriately.

In addition, there is the logic determining which VirtualHost configuration is really
handling your request.
The first defined VirtualHost in the Apache httpd configuration (from top to bottom) acts

as the "default" VirtualHost.  That means that for any request where httpd cannot
determine to which VirtualHost it is addressed (because the hostname of the request does
not match any "ServerName" of a VirtualHost), Apache httpd will use this default virtual
host configuration to process the request.

In your case, if you send a request to "http://(ip address)/x", and none of your
VirtualHost sections contains a "serverName (ip address)" matching exactly, then the
request will be processed with the configuration of the default VirtualHost.
Which is what is happening here.

And the combination of all the above is why, when you put the JkMounts in the default
VirtualHost configuration section, it "works".

But it is not really supposed to work that way. Your http request should be properly
addressed to a specific VirtualHost - by name - and this VirtualHost configuration should

be so that it contains the appropriate JkMount directives (or a JkMountCopy directive, to

inherit the JkMounts from the main configuration).

And I hope that you are not totally lost ater that. ;-)