tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Can't seem to get metadata-complete turned on
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2012 17:05:17 GMT
On 14/09/2012 17:31, Benson Margulies wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 12:27 PM, Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org> wrote:
>> Benson Margulies <benson@basistech.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Apologies for the accidental use of HTML.
>>>
>>> The problem below is triggered by the facts that:
>>>
>>> a) spring-web contains a ServletContainerInitializer
>>> b) even with metadata-complete, tomcat does annotation scanning once
>>> it sees one of those
>>
>> Yes, this is a mandatory requirement of the servlet spec. Yes, it is a PITA. Your
best bet is to add the spring jar to jarsToSkip which should stop it being scanned for the
SCI in the first place. If you need features provided by the SCI, then you can add the other
jars to the skip list.

> Mark, does the OOM suggest something worth trying to track down? I
> gave it 0.5G of memory and it still filled it up whilst looking for
> annotations. Making you a test case of this is not impossible but not
> trivial.

An upgrade to 7.0.30 should fix that.

> Also, I was surprised to note that tomcat seems to do annotation
> scanning even for a version 2.4 webapp, which has no metadata-complete
> option in the schema.

Yes. Again, a mandatory requirement of the servlet spec. Again, a PITA.
I (and others) have tried and failed to argue against this behaviour.

Mark