tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Joao Silva <joao.si...@vilt-group.com>
Subject Re: How to get heap dump of Tomcat running as windows service.
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2012 12:38:31 GMT
On 12/09/2012 11:02, Aditi Sinha wrote:
> Hi,
>

> We have web server hosted on Tomcat 7.0.22. Tomcat is running as windows
> service.
>
> When we try to get the heap  dump of Tomcat using the following command
>

> *jmap -dump:format=b,file=heap.bin <pid>*
>

> we get below error
>

> *<pid>: Not enough storage is available to process this command.*
>

> When Tomcat is started manually in console (using command “catalina.bat
> start”), we are able to take the heap dump.
>

> Is there any workaround which would allow to take heap dump when Tomcat
> running as windows service?
>

> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Aditi

Hi

If you are connected to the Windows machine through remote desktop,
please try to connect to it using the console session (administrative
credentials required).
This is because starting with Windows 2003, services run with service
isolation, but you can get around that by connecting to the console session.
Depending on your operating system version (not the server's version),
you can connect to the console session by

    After Windows XP SP3, Vista SP1

         From the Start menu, choose Run. Type "mstsc /console". Connect
        to the server as usual.

    Other versions