tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Facing Memory leak - 64 bit Tomcat 6.0.35 with windows 2008 R2(64 bit JVM 1.6.0_33)
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2012 20:27:57 GMT
Pid * wrote:
> edited for my amusement.
>
> On 5 Sep 2012, at 17:16, PJ Delsh <pjdelsh007@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Shailendra,  I'm not an expert,
>
> Really?
>
>> Once we fixed the leaks, Tomcat was stable.
>
> Quel surprise.
>
>> After months of searching, we think the issue was having system.exit(0) in our code.
>
> A classic blunder. After which you conclude:
>
>> The truth is that Tomcat is not written well enough to run on Windows.
>
> Hilarious, but unfounded & inaccurate. Of course you could prove me
> wrong by pointing out which bits of Tomcat are not written well enough
> to run on Windows?
>

>> Tomcat is not like IIS. Developing for Tomcat on Windows is fine, but running production
apps in Tomcat on Windows is a bad idea.

> I am aware of substantial Tomcat deployments on Windows that run just
> fine under a decent amount of load.

And, for further amusement, another note : Tomcat doesn't run under Windows (nor under
Linux).  Tomcat is a Java app, and Java apps run under a Java Virtual Machine, which is
supposed to provide to the Java apps that run under it, the exact same environment, no
matter which platform the Java VM itself runs under.
That is what makes Java applications multi-platform, after all.
(Which, if you get down to it, is in fact a lie.  Java apps always run under the same
platform : the JVM).

In other words, the Tomcat code is always one and the same. It is the JVM that is
different for each platform, not Tomcat.

So one could argue about the respective qualities of the undelying OSes, or the respective

qualities of the OS-specific JVM's.
But it is totally meaningless to write that "Tomcat is not written well enough to run on
Windows". As long as one says that, one might just as well save oneself some typing and
just write "Tomcat is not written well enough".  Which is guaranteed to start another
lively discussion on this list.