tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: tomcat 6 virtual hosting vs apache virtual hosting
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2012 18:22:32 GMT

On 9/4/12 2:13 PM, Charles Richard wrote:
> I've started a new job where the last sysadmin has the virtual
> hosting configured in Tomcat (and Apache).  I'm used to only doing
> virtual hosting with Apache.
> What are the pros and cons of each method?  I'm trying to
> understand why that would be needed.

I'd like to add some questions to those posed by André:

1. How are you connecting Apache httpd to Tomcat? mod_jk/mod_proxy_ajp
or mod_proxt_http?

2. Do you ever need to access Tomcat directly, or does all traffic go
through Apache httpd first?

3. Does Apache httpd add anything to your environment that you can't
(or don't want to) do through Tomcat? Perhaps httpd isn't even necessary.

4. Describe your application segmentation: do you have one or more
webapps deployed in each virtual host that are identical *other* than
the fact that they are deployed on separate virtual hosts? For
example, does the application in VH A behave differently than the same
application in VH B? Sometimes, it's the same app with a different
configuration which changes the kind of advice we might give you.

- -chris
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.17 (Darwin)
Comment: GPGTools -
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -