tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Pid *" <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: sessions replication
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 18:08:06 GMT
On 19 Sep 2012, at 16:59, "Carrillo, Dan" <dcarrillo@idanalytics.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
> My sessions are replicating across the cluster as indicated by my session listener debug
output.  E.g I can see the session created/destroyed messages in each respective log.
> I have a Service object that is serializable, which contains a String member variable
(x) which is not initialized; null.  As my load balancer round-robins the requests to each
of these servers, each successfully retrieves the service instance from the session.  Now,
when service.x is set at some point in the workflow, I expect the other members to receive
this updated object since it resides in the session.  However, I'm finding that it is not,
it remains null in all other containers.

> The tomcat config (http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/cluster-howto.html) says that
"..For each request the entire session is replicated, this allows code that modifies attributes
in the session without calling setAttribute or removeAttribute to be replicated."

> Can someone clarify whether I do in fact need to reset the service object on the session
in order for it to replicate?

If by this, you are asking whether you can retrieve an object from the
session, update it and without adding it back to the session expect
these changes to be propagated, then no, you can't.