tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Pid *" <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: Profiling tomcat 7 on ubuntu with java profiler
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 18:25:18 GMT
On 17 Sep 2012, at 13:55, Ragini <raginippatel@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi experts,
>
> I profile tomcat with a java profiler.

I expect that a Java Profiler is the best way to do that.

> The profiler runs java agent and
> profiles the tomcat server.

So you said. That's awesome dude.

> So I have created setenv.sh and put java
> options to it. so far it is working fine. I start the server, then I run
> the web application in the browser and then I stop the server by
> shutdown.sh. After I execute shutdown.sh, my profiler dumps the output.
> This output shows all the executed java methods in xml format. It
> actually shows the sequence in which they were executed. Pl find the
> attached file to see how the profiler generates the output. This was
> generated by running just one test.jsp page which contains the method
> "addnum".
>
> In the output, I have noticed that the main class which is responsible
> to execute jsp page is "Lorg/apache/jsp".

Uhhh, which profiler are you using? That doesn't make sense.

> But I am not sure if there are also other classes which are responsible for this.

> I am curious to know this. In my profiler I have an option by which I can exclude classes
> which I dont want to profile.
>
> I am basically interested in profiling all user defined methods of jsp
> pages and of java classes. (I want to profile a web application which
> has java classes and jsp pages as well).

Good plan.

> I would not like to profile the classes of apache which are dependent on time (like threads
are time dependent).

Uhh, if the committers come up with some Tomcat code that isn't depend
on time I extend an immediate offer of unlimited beer. (Before you
start, I'll win this one.)

> The reason for this is, it gives me different profiles for
> exactly two same runs. Which I strictly don’t want.

Sun spots?

> so I would like to have your opinions on,
>
> 1) Are the methods of org/apache/jsp class and time dependent ? Is there
> any chance that I get different profiles for exactly two same runs ?

Unless your Tomcat server is in a Faraday cage for a start, yes.