tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "verlag.preisser@t-online.de" <verlag.preis...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: Q) ajp connector
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2012 07:31:47 GMT
Hi Alex,

-----Original-Nachricht-----
> Von: Alex Samad - Yieldbroker <Alex.Samad@yieldbroker.com>
> An: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
> Betreff: RE: Q) ajp connector
> Datum: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 05:52:55 +0200

> So would that then be
>
> Client -> websocket -> IIS ->  is this still done as AJP or websocket
> ->jboss/tomcat
>
> Is jboss tomcat ready to handle websockets ?

Tomcat supports Websockets since 7.0.27, but I think it is not possible to use Websockets
over AJP because of the design of the AJP protocol (it doesn't allow concurrent reading and
writing). For IIS, it should support Websockets since IIS 8.0 (Win Server 2012), but I didn't
have time to try it out.
So you probably would need your clients to connect directly to Tomcat for using Websockets.

I'm currently working on an idea of a SPDY/3 Connector for IIS (as a possible replacement
over the AJP conenctor), which is written in C# (using .Net 4.0). SPDY allowes for multiple
streams on one TCP connection, so you would only need one open Connection to backend, and
it should also allow to tansport Websocket connections (but that connector implementation
does not yet have support for it).

If you want to take a look at it, you can find the thread of the dev-list here: http://markmail.org/message/q335rbpoylymr77q

Note that Tomcat seems to not yet have support for SPDY/3, but only SPDY/2, so unfortunately
it is currently not possible to test the connector with Tomcat - but it should work with Jetty.

Regards,
Konstantin Prei├čer