tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tony Anecito <>
Subject Re: Latest Tomcat release question...
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2012 20:55:14 GMT
Thanks Christopher,

I have not started using 7.0.30 yet and I do have connection pools setup on startup I believe
5 or 6 of them which may account for the 20 seconds.

What I was interested in is after startup using 7.0.30 has anyone noticed a performance improvement
for their apps?

--- On Tue, 9/18/12, Christopher Schultz <> wrote:

From: Christopher Schultz <>
Subject: Re: Latest Tomcat release question...
To: "Tomcat Users List" <>
Date: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 1:27 PM

On 9/18/12 1:58 PM, Tony Anecito wrote:
> Has anyone tried the newest Tomcat release and noticed any
> performance differences? My startup is 20 seconds but it is not
> often I restart my Tomcat server due to it being so stable but I am
> interested in any performance gain when it is executing and a
> request is going through the tomcat code before it reaches my code
> or after and the response is going back through the Tomcat layers.

As for startup, I just restarted my local dev instance (running 1
webapp with a reasonable amount of db-loading in a

Sep 18, 2012 3:04:29 PM org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init
INFO: The APR based Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal
performance in production environments was not found on the
java.library.path: /usr/local/apache-tomcat-7.0.30/lib

Sep 18, 2012 3:04:34 PM org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol start
INFO: Starting ProtocolHandler ["http-nio-"]
Sep 18, 2012 3:04:34 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 4115 ms

So it's 4 seconds for me. My system config:
Mac OS X 10.8.1
Oracle JDK 1.7.0_07
Tomcat 7.0.30
Intel Core i7 2.5GHz 2x4 (8 logical cores)

There are 3 things I can think of that could make your Tomcat start

1. Insufficient entropy in /dev/random
2. DNS timeouts
3. Your webapp does a lot of stuff on startup

- -chris
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.17 (Darwin)
Comment: GPGTools -
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -